Number of pieces:
The lesson is about designing and printing a 3D map of European countries in order to understand the right geographic position and location of them. It will also be used to teach the location of the European countries borders and to understand the 3D printing techniques.
The students will be able to:
– Design the map with Rihnoceros or Sketchup or Inventor Educational or with others suitable CAD software.
– Identify the different European countries.
– Create in their mind a mental map of European countries.
– Know and locate the right geographic position of European countries.
– Use interpretative models of territorial structures of these countries, in relation to their historical, political and economic evolution.
– Prepare CAD files to be printed.
– Learn 3D printing technics.
– Setting the 3D printing file.
– Print the 3D model of European countries.
Preparation about the guided lesson in the classroom. Development of theoretical exercises to be implemented during the classroom lesson in order to make the lesson as interactive as possible.
– Introduce the topic and the objective (the concept of Europe and it’s transformation along the years).
– Explain the basic of the 3D software for i.e. Rihnoceros or Sketchup or Inventor Educational.
– Guided designing of the 3D map.
– Explain how to save the file and how to export to the suitable format for the 3D print (.STL, .OBJ…).
– Explain the basics about 3D printing.
– Explain how to set the file on the coding software, Cura.
– Show how to obtain the G-Code.
Explain how to prepare the 3D printer for launching works.
- Design the 3D map with CAD software i.e. Rihnoceros or Sketchup or Inventor Educational.
- Saving and exporting to the suitable format , STL. OBJ….
- Select the suitable setting on Cura for printing the 3D map.
- Launching the file on the 3D printer.
- Try the design.
- Participate in the exercises proposed by the teachers.
Example of exercises to be implemented:
Complete a research report about the Country that will include the following information:
- Introduction – Name and location of the Country (where it’s located, why you have chosen it, to find a picture)
- Physical description – morphology and climate
- Information about it’s history
- Economic activities
- Typical food and traditions
- Additional information about the interesting places that the tourists can visit
Age of students
Basic CAD, 3D print, geography, art and technical skills.
3 lesson (60’ each of one)
Spatula, glue, pencils, sheets, ruler, computer
Cura, Rihnoceros or Sketchup or Inventor Educational
Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0)
You are free to: Share — copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format. Adapt — remix, transform, and build upon the material for any purpose, even commercially. Under the following terms: Attribution — You must give appropriate credit, provide a link to the license, and indicate if changes were made. You may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests the licensor endorses you or your use. No additional restrictions — You may not apply legal terms or technological measures that legally restrict others from doing anything the license permits.
I printed it
If you printed this exercise you can register and share it with the community:Create a new account
Or Login if you are registered.