60x70x20 mm overall
Number of pieces:
The lesson is about designing and printing a compass in order to know how to orientate in the geographical space by using mental maps and cardinal points. Locate on the maps the main physical geographic «objects» (mountains, rivers, lakes …) and anthropic (cities, ports and airports, infrastructures …) through the use of the compass.
The students will be able to:
– Design the Compass with Rihnoceros or Sketchup or Inventor Educational or with other suitable CAD software.
– Identify the different parts of the Compass.
– Know the cardinal points.
– Know how to orientate in the geographical space through a compass.
– Locate the main geographical, physical and anthropological objects on maps through the use of cardinal points.
– Prepare CAD files to be printed.
– Learn 3D printing techniques.
– Setting the 3D printing file.
– Print the 3D model of the compass.
Preparation about the guided lesson in the classroom. Development of theoretical exercises to be implemented during the classroom lesson in order to make the lesson as interactive as possible.
- To introduce the topic and the objective (the compass, how it works, the difference between the past and the present).
- Explain the basic of the 3D software to use for i.e. Rihnoceros or Sketchup or Inventor Educational.
- Guided designing of the Compass.
- Explain how to save the file and how to export to the suitable format for the 3D print(.STL, .OBJ…).
- Explain the basic about 3D printing.
- Explain how to set the file on the coding software, Cura.
- Show how to obtain the G-Code.
- Explain how to prepare the 3D printer for launching works.
- Design the Compass with some sketch and then thanks to the CAD software i.e. Rihnoceros or Sketchup or Inventor Educational.
- Saving and exporting to the suitable format STL. OBJ….
- Select the suitable setting on Cura for printing the compass.
- Launching the file on the 3D printer.
- Try the design.
- Participate in the exercises proposed by the teacher.
Age of students
Basic CAD, 3D print, geography, art and technique skills.
2 lesson (60’ each of one)
Spatula, glue, pencils, sheets, acetate sheets, ruler, computer.
Cura, Rihnoceros or Sketchup or Inventor Educational.
Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0)
You are free to:
Share — copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format
Adapt — remix, transform, and build upon the material
for any purpose, even commercially.
Under the following terms:
Attribution — You must give appropriate credit, provide a link to the license, and indicate if changes were made. You may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests the licensor endorses you or your use.
No additional restrictions — You may not apply legal terms or technological measures that legally restrict others from doing anything the license permits.
I printed it
If you printed this exercise you can register and share it with the community:Create a new account
Or Login if you are registered.